EA has announced a special Dev Team Edition for Dead Space 3 with a limited 5,000 made available for PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. The limited edition costs $160 and includes the following items:
- An 8-inch polyresin model of The Black Marker alien artifact
- 10 x 7-inch Aluminum Data Pad with 9 sets of pages
- 14-oz Med Pack Water Bottle with transparent blue casing
- Bound SCAF Jotter including 20 pages of Dead Space lore
- 3 12 x 5-inch vintage SCAF Posters printed on 90-pound paper
- 6 Peng Postcards
- 4.75 x 5.6-inch 96-page Mini Art Book full of concept visuals
- DLC: First Contact – First Contact suit and Negotiator weapon
- DLC: Witness the Truth – Witness the Truth suit and Evangelizer weapon
- Metal plate stating the edition number you received
EA is also selling just the items themselves without a game included for $100, which makes me believe the game will be packaged separately from the extra items. For example, if you buy the PS3 version you will get Dead Space 3 for PS3 and then the extra limited edition items.
This is much easier for EA to manage logistically. They can make 5,000 of them and not need to worry about which version, PS3, 360, or PC, will be more popular and easily ship them to customers who only want the limited edition stuff.
I personally think this lowers the collectible value of the package because you are basically buying a standard edition game with some limited edition memorabilia instead of buying a limited edition game package.
The Dead Space Ultra Limited Edition originally sold for $149 and now sells for $500 brand new. But only 1,000 of those were made and the game and limited edition items are one package. We will have to wait and see if the Dead Space 3 Dev Team Edition becomes as popular with collectors. It is probably a safe bet to at least keep its value because collector's edition games generally keep their value better than standard edition.
UPDATE (Feb. 8th 2013): The Dead Space 3 Dev Team accessories are selling for about $250 now. That is 150% more than their original price.